Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Vegan Eggplant Parmesan

I think it is kind of funny how vegan dishes will borrow their traditional counterpart names and just add 'vegan' to the front end. I guess it helps battle confusion, but it is still funny to me!

This dish turned out pretty tasty. I took a picture when a lot of it was gone since I was debating on sharing it, not due to taste, just time....

Vegan Eggplant Parm for Two: 

 

You'll need a medium eggplant, 2 portabello mushrooms, Italian breadcrumbs, non-dairy milk, no sugar added pasta sauce (I used Simply Ragu), nutritional yeast, vegan mozzarella shreds. Of course, substitute what you want based on how you eat. This can handle gluten free crumbs or dairy if desired.

Peel and cut the eggplant while baking the portabellos (just put them on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees till not watery--about 20-25 mins). I cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and then slice it. Dredge the eggplant in non-dairy milk then coat with breadcrumbs. Lay on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray and then lightly spray the tops of each one. Bake in 350 degree oven for at least 20 minutes or until soft. I just eyeball this as I keep moving forward with the other meal components (since often I'm making a non-vegan dish simultaneously). 



When the eggplant and mushrooms are finished, do the assembling!

On an oven proof plate, layer one portobello, 4 eggplant portions (will equal 2 circles, so 4 half circles), sprinkle nutritional yeast, then top with as much pasta sauce as you like. Follow with vegan mozzarella shreds. (I rarely use cheese substitutes but like to keep some on hand occasionally--this was a good use for them!) Pop this back in the oven for ten minutes or until cheese melts.

Serve with steamed broccoli. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment