Featured Post

Jonah Chapter 2

Jonah 2 A very good message

When It's Time to Die

I spent some time today with an elderly friend who is quite sick with bronchitis. She is a sweet woman who is amazingly independent given her age of 92. Something I like about her is her opinions and honesty, for example, I was cutting up a chicken breast (bone in) for her today so I could cook it, and she showed me just how to cut the meat. We discussed leaving the right amount of skin on for flavor, and she didn't want to waste the bone/rib portion since a little meat that is too small to cut can be eaten when cooked. I was sharing with her about boneless tenderloins, which would be great since cutting is hard on her at this point, but she didn't miss a beat in sharing that all her meat has to come with a bone! I loved it, a woman who knows what tastes better and is healthier. The marrow in bones is full of nutrition and will produce the best soups as well as impart vitamins/minerals to the meat when cooking. At least that is my understanding about it :).

This friend is ready to be with the Lord; we talk about it and how great it will be. We lament the culture of today and talk of how hard it is to look at my kids, for example, and what they have coming in this country as they age. It is blessed to be nearer the Lord than starting out in some regards. It doesn't sound pleasant, but it was since we see the issue the same.

So what I wanted to write about is that when it's nearer my time to die, assuming it's not going to be sudden like from a car crash, I hope I care about cooking and am able to. I hope I can see all the little clocks around my home that need batteries (if I happen to have such items). This friend of mine is remarkably quick minded even though her 90th birthday was a couple of years ago. She loves our pastor, as do I, and loves to grow in her understanding of Jesus Christ. She's a grateful women, fun to talk with. I hope to be like that even now, but especially when I'm ailing. Growing old gracefully comes from living a grace-filled life, so at least I can try to practice now. :)

4 comments:

  1. I love what you had to say about this stage in life and couldn't agree more! I want to be that pleasant, grace filled, spirit filled woman also as I pass thru this life. Unfortunately, my wonderful MIL (who is the same age) is not able to articulate or motivate like she once could. I am now her full-time caregiver. She was and is a devout woman of God who has inspired me to be long suffering, meek and mild. My mother, on the other hand, (the woman who raised me) is and always was snarky, rude, critical, judgemental - well, I won't continue...suffice it to say - I love and forgive her and continue to be a witness. Life is fleeting and God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so kind to take time to comment. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and a little about your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just re-reading this and realized I never commented back more thoroughly. I'm sorry. God bless you for caring for your MIL. It must be hard you can't enjoy her words of affirmation as you used to. How blessed to be able to give back to her now. Isn't it remarkable how the Lord fills voids in our lives with other people? Life is fleeting...let's keep remembering that as times get harder for Bible believing Christians. Let's not be afraid to stand firm on the truth, no matter how much the culture tries to pressure us in to denying it. We shall be rewarded one day by the King of Kings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words. God knows better than we do, so I am just gonna stand on His promises and continue to trust that He knows what He's doing.

    ReplyDelete