Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Holiness...

We are having revival meetings at our church this week. I missed Sunday evening since I was visiting my sisters in another state. Last night I was able to go, and it was powerful, as is nearly every  message given at this church, whether it be from our pastor, our youth pastor, visiting missionaries, or this revival meeting pastor. We were given this list to ponder. It speaks for itself.

The sermon that went with it is amazing; I'm so glad my oldest opted to stay with us and listen rather than go with the kids to another special message. In a nutshell, something the pastor pointed out, which is also something my husband has been saying, is that Christians today tend to use a moving measuring stick against the world to determine their holiness. As the world gets more wicked, then so does the church. Thinking on this while reading Studies in the Sermon on the Mount by D. Martyn Lloyd Jones is giving me a lot to think about regarding my own sinfulness. Am I waking each day thinking, "God lives IN me." and using that to determine what I ingest, what I speak, what I wear, what I think, how I respond to those who hurt me?

John Wesley’s Holy Club Questions

These are 22 questions the members of John Wesley’s Holy Club asked themselves every day in their private devotions over 200 years ago.

  1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?

  2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?

  3. Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?

  4. Can I be trusted?

  5. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?

  6. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?

  7. Did the Bible live in me today?

  8. Do I give it time to speak to me everyday?

  9. Am I enjoying prayer?

  10. When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?

  11. Do I pray about the money I spend?

  12. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?

  13. Do I disobey God in anything?

  14. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?

  15. Am I defeated in any part of my life?

  16. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?

  17. How do I spend my spare time?

  18. Am I proud?

  19. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?

  20. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?

  21. Do I grumble or complain constantly?

  22. Is Christ real to me?

1 comment: