Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Whole Wheat Pita Bread-No Salt or Oil

For months it has been difficult to find the pita bread we prefer. Prior to covid, we usually found it at a retailer for just over $1 per 5 pack. It was whole wheat, low calorie, and tasted good enough. Not finding it for weeks and weeks led to going to a different brand that was not as healthy, and then finally when that was no longer available, to a more expensive store and a yet another brand. The cost has gone up each time we've made a change.


After weeks of a shortage again, I've finally gone to making my own. It isn't difficult, it is just one thing I'd hoped to avoid. Being out of whole wheat flour, at least any I could readily locate in my house, I ground some wheat to make these. The ingredients are whole wheat flour, yeast and water--baked for 5 minutes in a 500 degree oven. It is easier than the pitas I've made in the past which are just flour and water cooked individually on the stove top. :)

You can find the recipe here. I used less than 4 cups of freshly ground flour and rolled them out thinner than stated in the recipe. All but the 3 I forgot to time rose nicely--did better on a metal pan than a baking stone as far as rising due to the rapid heating of the metal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment