Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

My Mary Kay Director Stepping Down

For 23 years I've been a Mary Kay Consultant. I joined the company when I was in college after going to a little facial at my closest friend, Ruth's, house. Her director was there and us two--a small group. Ruth's mom had used Mary Kay for years. Her pink compact required water to make the eye color work. Mary Kay was the first skin care I'd really used and it worked well for me;  something I later learned would be uncommon. 

During my time with Mary Kay, and not long in to it, my director from Ruth's house retired and moved to Florida. Her director, a woman named Chan, became my first-line director, so to speak. Financially I don't think Chan ever benefitted from my efforts, but she always included me in her contests and newsletters. When I attended meetings, they were in my state of KY with some great adopted directors. Chan was in Maryland. I didn't do much in person with her, and I never went to Seminar...for a long time I wasn't into prizes or things, though now I hold as very special my Mary Kay pin with a little fancy overlay.

Lately I've been feeling a bit sad as my middle daughter is nearing graduation. Maybe it is coming off covid, which we thought we had last month but turns out, we've had it this month. Being quarantined during December was more fun and easier! This month my oldest is away at school and we're busy praying for college finances to be provided...the looming thought of sending off my sweet middle girl has been at the forefront of my mind. 


How does this tie in to Mary Kay? The passing of time, things that have been constants...Chan has been a constant. She's prayed for me along with the rest of her team. I've prayed for her, and that connects you to a person. She's someone who has always expressed love and kindness. She's real and doesn't pretend to believe something she doesn't. We are both republicans, and that connects people in today's messed up political climate. 

Chan called tonight. She is retiring from being a Director after 30 years. This news has me very sad. It is easy to expect people to always be around, always doing what they've always done. The last few days I've prayed about my future with Mary Kay...I'll be going to work for my son's senior year to help pay for college. My middle daughter can't use Mary Kay due to some strange chemical allergies. Even though I do a small business of just a few thousand dollars a year, Mary Kay has been a continual part of my married years and with that, Chan. Like things we think we appreciate, they take on a new meaning when they are no longer. I hate goodbyes and endings. 

I hope to remember and embody Chan's continual encouragement and positive attitude. She's had some rough waters and never acted down in the dumps with us. She was professional and loving--that is not the easiest combination. She has shown me that you never know who can use some constant love and recognition. It doesn't take much to pour a little something good in to someone else. It just takes some thoughtfulness. 

Thank you for all you've given me, Chan. I'm thankful we'll both be with the Lord one day and I hope we recognize each other. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment