Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Working Ahead for Meal Prep

Today was a productive day of cooking 10 lbs of ground venison and beef, seasoning it for tacos, and freezing it in 1 lb bags. It actually made twelve 1 lb bags and one 8 oz bag, which will be fine for an extra big meal. Adding one can of refried beans to each pound will make for one dinner for the five of us. It's a great way to help get me through the end of the school year.

I also cooked up 10 cups of navy beans, which I've needed to do for years. Some went to a large batch of soup, allowing me to use my last bag of frozen ham, and the rest are frozen in 14 oz portions. It's such a good feeling to have 4 bags of beans and a little more than two quarts of soup in the freezer. The rest of the soup is tomorrow's dinner.

The other day I froze five pounds of cooked ground beef to simplify spaghetti sauce or lasagna preparations through the next couple of cold months, put two frozen lasagnas in the freezer, two pans of mini meatloaves (one is already gone!) and a large chicken pot pie away.

It seems like a lot of work at the time, and each endeavor did take the better part of the day, but it is well worth it. To get just one meal per week ready in advance cuts down on cooking when I'm super tired. Before Dave Ramsey it would have meant cutting down on one last-minute night of eating out!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment