Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Use of Leftover Green Bean Casserole

I know that pictures would make each blog post I write more enjoyable. It just comes down to time. So, here is an idea, sans pictures, even though I have this dish in my fridge right now. Sorry!

Leftover green bean casserole can easily be changed in to a chicken pot pie. After Thanksgiving, we had oodles of extra food, so I froze one uncooked green bean casserole. We ate it with dinner one night, but there was still a lot left and I didn't want to have it like that again anytime soon. Since it had been frozen uncooked, now that it was cooked I could refreeze it. I added cooked, seasoned chicken, carrots, some broth, and a buttery cracker topping (broken up Ritz with melted butter). The cream soup, green beans and french fried onions provided a solid base for the dish already. I actually had thawed leftover stuffing and some of that got put in to the 'pot pie' adding terrific flavor and texture.

I cooked the pot pie directly from frozen for 90 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Everyone loved it. One family member has eaten it for lunch and thinks it is terrific-- even better the second day.

A big time saver is if you have dehydrated carrots on hand. It was a fast dish to make ahead and nothing was wasted, plus I didn't have to use my fresh carrots and onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment