Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Literature...First Day of School

Our first day of school went really well; I was up nice and early so had plenty of time to shower, stretch and come alive. We didn't do everything full boar, but it still took most of the day. Once I  managed to pry the bread out of the bread machine, things ticked along nicely.

In preparation for this year's classes, I'm brushing up on Teaching the Classics by Adam Andrews. I love his approach to literature--the Socratic method. The Center for Lit website has information on live online discussions and this seems like a perfect way to keep a middle/high schooler on a reading schedule of some great classics. I'm already thinking of future years and using this service. How crazy since we've just finished day 1, but that is what I love about homeschooling; it is a process of making a whole (ideally leaving few 'holes' ha ha)

Something new that I am already really glad we're using is All About Spelling. Gaps become immediately apparent with this approach. Not that I have any idea if filling those gaps and firming up the foundation will make any difference with spelling scores on achievement tests...wait until next summer for a report on that. I do like the multi-sensory approach AAS employs.

I hope your school year gets off to a great start,

Ann

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment