Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Back From Disney World

We have just returned from a most amazing trip to Florida. It was our 2nd to Disney World, and a long one! My husband planned it for well over 6 months so we'd all have a terrific time. It is interesting to me how a place so wonderful can be a total nightmare if not planned well! As much as I love Disney, if we went on a day that was busy, it would not be enjoyable at all. I've got to thank God for the weather we had; every day was terrific, though we planned for a myriad of temperatures and were glad to have some little extra things to keep warm at night.

This year we enjoyed breakfast in Cinderella's castle, breakfast in Norway (Epcot), dinner in Germany (Epcot), and the girls had a fabulous time at the Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique in downtown Disney. All of our children had a blast in the Lego store and I snapped hundreds of pictures throughout the trip. We were enchanted with Belle's Enchanted Castle in the New Fantasyland and the kids all got to participate in the show. It's rumored the Lion King show in Animal Kingdom is going to be leaving, so we were thrilled to enjoy it again this year along with having all of the kids participate. It was amazing that they kept getting called on! I think Disney done right is a fantastic place to bond with one's family because there are so many things for each person to enjoy. This was our first time visiting Hollywood Studios; what a fun way to spend a day. The insightful tours into the movie industry were fantastic. I really liked seeing all of the fire and shooting scenes, plus the Indiana Jones set and how some of those amazing stunts get performed. Magic Kingdom didn't disappoint with the superb 'Mountains' (Space Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn Railroad (my favorite!), and Splash Mtn (another favorite for the whole family). Gaston's Tavern in the New Fantasyland serves up a delicious pork shank and a really tasty and fun apple drink. It looks like beer but is so good!

This was our first time touring through Epcot and the Candlelight Processional was beautiful. So many voices singing traditional Christmas songs while we listened to the Bible account being read throughout the show. It was a wonderful way to kick off the Christmas season. Afterward we saw a very impressive water and light show (with fireworks of course). The kids had a blast getting their passports filled in, which my hubby bought on ebay before we left so that would all be smooth. It is surprising how many people make Disney tracking and marketing a career or side job. We all enjoyed Sum of All Thrills and Soaring was a hit with most of us. The Test Track opened up the day we were there, and as so many things which went well, we walked on and also got a fast pass so we could ride again. The actual track part is the best portion of that ride; it's worth doing, but not as cool as I thought it could have been.

Kenny the Pirate was a huge help with where characters would be, among other details I really didn't pay attention to but my husband did! The sad part of the trip was my realizing that I'm quite claustrophobic during Mission Space. The ride had only begun when I had to work hard to not go into a full panic. It was terrifying to be honest, and Scripture and my oldest daughter got me through it. Realizing a limitation like this at my age, after all of the things I've done in life where small spaces were a part, has been tough to accept, but life is full of change and adaptations. God is in control~

Animal Kingdom is such fun, and things were different from last year. I like that they mix it up so that year to year, you are getting a new experience. We had dinner at the Rainforest Cafe as we left and that was a really nice treat. This is a park we have spent just a day in each trip, but I think I could spend two there. My family talked me into Expedition Everest which was fine when it was going forward in the light, but when we went backward in the dark, something happened. I couldn't get outside fast enough after that and thankfully, did not vomit even though I felt like I was going to. A new experience....

In all we went to the Magic Kingdom 3 times, Epcot twice, Animal Kingdom once and Hollywood Studios once. The down-day that was planned was perfect. We slept in, did the Boutique and some shopping, then toured a few Disney properties to see the decorations. I love the Grand Floridian, but think the Fort Wilderness Lodge is my favorite. The decorations are beautiful and that place just feels more like me. Not that I wouldn't love a stay at the Grand, but for the money, it would be hard to enjoy either. We loved staying at Windham Bonnet Creek, the only place within Disney property but not owned by Disney. Each night that we weren't in a park, I watched the Epcot fireworks and often saw MK fireworks as well. It is easier to sleep when you aren't paying several hundred (or thousands) of dollars a night! We loved the pools and got to enjoy them on our last full day after we finished with the park for that day.

One area of Disney that I was not impressed with was the tea at the Grand Floridian. Kay, the owner of Pinkadilly Tea in Fredericksburg, VA, could definitely teach them how to do a proper tea! Kay uses Devonshire cream and lemon curd with her scones, unlike the Grand which actually serves butter and jam. Also the quality of the tea was lacking at the Grand and the giant tea cozies were intrusive. The food wasn't as good as Kay's, and the service wasn't as elegant. I could go on, but don't want to totally nitpick! The setting at the Grand is fantastic, but I think they rely on that too much.

In all, I'm so thankful for all of the time with my family. My husband gave the kids breakfast every morning so I could sleep as late as possible; he woke us all up and lead us around making sure we all had fun. I don't know how he does what he does, but the fact he gets so much pleasure giving us a perfect vacation just speaks volumes about his personality. He understands my physical limitations and worked hard to help me not overdue it, and since I can feel trapped in amusement parks, the fact we hit each one on the slowest (or nearly) day was so appreciated.

It is hard to have to get back to action tomorrow since I'm so tired, but we enjoyed two glorious church services today and a good friend's baby shower, so I really can't complain. I love the work I do here.

No comments:

Post a Comment