Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Holding Out Hope

I had a lot of time to think the other day today. It was my oldest child's birthday...14...and the plan was for a warm, sunny day to go hiking and have a picnic lunch. We forgot to notify the weather, however, and ended up with cold, rainy skies instead. An audible was called after soccer, and we headed west for a couple of hours so we could enjoy regulated temps and water activities! It has made for a long celebration, but so worthwhile. We are big on birthdays here.

While traveling I was thinking about family, and how I hope my children are close as they age. People can grow in to very different adults even if they are raised in the same home. If they all have different goals, priorities, choices in music and entertainment, ways of vacationing, manners of dressing, spending....eating...living...worshiping...the latter being the most important, it is unlikely there will be any real closeness. Having a similar childhood helps, but to really be close in adulthood there needs to be more. 

Creating similar experiences for my kids will hopefully aid them staying close, like if they all go away to college. I've observed that those who travel several hours away from home during the college years are more apt to travel later in life. It just seems that those who always stay relatively close to where they grew up as they enter adulthood, are less inclined to regularly travel a few hours away. It isn't the rule of course, but it is more common than not. If my kids live in different towns, I want them all to be fair about traveling to see one another. 

In the 17 years I've been married, I've never sat back and thought about some of these things. I hope I'm not missing other way to help foster closeness in my future adult children!

No comments:

Post a Comment