Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

Why Nighttime Breastfeeding So Important | Natural Parents Network

Why Nighttime Breastfeeding So Important | Natural Parents Network.

Nighttime breastfeeding is critical to successful breastfeeding, yet somehow new moms I encounter or hear about do not seem to know this. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Le Leche League is a good book to read if you plan to nurse; arm yourself with the facts. Better yet, join a breastfeeding group. There is much knowledge and support there. Sure, you may have to deal with someone nursing a child you consider far too old, but hey, she's figured out how to be successful, right?

It is important to understand that the hind milk comes at the end of the nursing time, so emptying the breast is important, particularly at night.  Make sure to nurse fully on at least one side with a young infant so they are getting the fattiest milk.

Breast milk runs on a supply and demand, and for the first 8 wks or so, baby should be at the breast every 2-3 hours. At night, I did this will all 3 of my kids until they started to naturally go a longer stretch. I've read it is the night feedings that determine milk production, so not nursing at night is not a good idea! I didn't get my oldest to sleep through the night until she was 6 months, my 2nd until 8 months, and my son didn't sleep through until 12 months. It was well worth it. I nursed all of my kids until they were at least 12 months old, and I was pregnant with number 3 while nursing number 2.

The way our time is divided as parents cannot be equal, God has given us different roles in parenting. Mom can nap during the day when the baby naps, dad cannot, so he should sleep all night while she tends to the children at home and he is at work (not able to nap).  I am confused by today's mothers who think the time spent with baby is supposed to be as equal as possible. We women have bought into some idea that leaves our pride in being almost or completely responsible for the day-to-day work of a newborn at the doorstep. It should be a great source of our satisfaction!

There seems to be a very new trend of first time moms breastfeeding but having their husband feed at night with pumped milk or formula. I have only recently met people who have attempted this; when I was having my babies it was unheard of. We called supplementing 'weaning', and I was taught if I pumped milk for feedings that I still needed to express milk when the next feeding should have occurred (during the first several months). There was no sleeping through feedings; aside from the risk of mastitis, the supply was sensitive those first 3 months.  In short,  breastfeeding that is done in a way that is easy is not going to be successful for the long haul. It must inconvenience mom, that is why it is such a sacrifice!

I can't help but wonder if formula companies perpetuate the idea that dad should help with breastfed babies since nursing will start off well with bottles at night, but in a short time there will be a diminished supply of milk and supplementing with formula will have to happen. Mom will be convinced she just didn't have enough milk. I don't know if my suspicions will ever be proven, but it is really interesting to see the trend.

I hope this helps some new moms succeed because it is heartbreaking, and frustrating, when nursing is going well only to be sabotaged by bottles, whether formula or breast milk. It is also expensive.

In closing, remember that babies get more milk from a bottle since by design they use their tongue to stop the flow of milk, whereas with nursing, baby must use his muscles to draw the milk out. The ease of bottles can really throw off breastfeeding attempts since babies quickly realize the easier way is preferable, so many times they will start to refuse the breast, particularly if a bottle is introduced before 3 to 4 wks of age.





2 comments:

  1. Well said, my friend. Nursing isnt all rainbows and butterflies. BUT it is the cheapest and best option for our babies and not enough moms have the facts or use resources who can give them the facts and simple tweaks to have a successful nursing experience. There are few items in the grocery store that are the cheapest and healthiest option....

    Your Lactivist in Christ,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on the signature!!!! Love it and thank you for the comments :)

    ReplyDelete