Featured Post

Revelation 19: Final Justice: The Return of Christ

Final Justice: The Return of Christ (3 Sermons) (if you just want the sermons without my waxing uneloquently, here is the link!) Things we h...

The Holy Spirit

In reading 2 Timothy 3:5 this afternoon, I was struck by the reference to the Holy Spirit, which I was listening to a sermon about earlier this morning. 

2 Tim 3:5  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof; from such turn away. 

and going further along to verse 7 of the same chapter,

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 

Do we who claim to know and belong to Christ rely on Him for all truth? Are we reading and studying, growing our intellectual abilities, yet missing the point of our existence? 

Do we 'have a form of godliness' but deny the power of that godliness, which is from the Holy Spirit and the actual proof we are saved?

The rubber of our being meets the road at the core of where we get our truth. Is it from another person, from deep inside ourselves, or is it from the Creator of the Universe? Is there truth outside of God, or is God the source of all truth? 

I'm fortunate to have lived a number of years without God.  That might sound odd, because any time away from Him is dreadful. Yes, those years involved a lot of suffering, but they showed me what the world and its institutions, and myself have to offer. I tried all the things to be at peace and feel good, and you know, none of it delivered. I was a mess without a focal point, with no center. Then one day I heard the gospel and learned there is POWER in God. Real power to bring real change, and at that point I was desperate for real change. So, while I might not know nearly as much as I should about God and His Word (much to my regret), this one thing I do know. There is no other that has the answers and no other who has the power, just God. He is enough, sufficient, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, sovereign, and one day every knee will bow to Him in subjection. To God be the glory. Amen. 

What Ever Happened to the Holy Spirit Sermon Series





No comments:

Post a Comment