Featured Post

Jonah Chapter 2

Jonah 2 A very good message

Thorough Grammar and Spelling Program

I have level 1 and level 2 of this program, The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading. It is quite thorough and I will say that the child with which I used both levels here in my home has shown to be the best speller and has the nicest handwriting.

Sadly, I get bored doing something like this year after year, AND it didn't seem to suit my middle child, so I changed it up for her. Years after using these, I find myself referencing the material. I like them better than Shurley English's, and they work well with Classical Conversations'. My favorite jingles by far come from CC, for the record.

http://www.thelatinroad.com/index.html

As a new homeschooling mom, I really needed the teaching Barbara provides in her DVD's. It taught ME the proper phonetic sounds and many rules. I'm presently using All About Spelling with my 2 younger students to teach them rules we've missed, and am planning to use The Phonics Road level 2 materials to double check where they are. It is great to have some really good resources like this at my disposal. Coupled with Shurley's sentence improving method, the Essentials of the English Language's charts and question/answer flow--though I do like identifying prepositional phrases first like Easy Grammar does, it makes for some good methods of learning English Grammar.

New to us this year is "Fix It!" from IEW. It's giving my middle child a tough lesson in editing for proper grammar, sentence structure and punctuation. Phew--it is not easy to turn Tom Sawyer into the 'kings English', but we're learning and hopefully it will aid in better writing. That is the goal of all this grammar after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment